FamilySearch uses your contact information to make it easier for users to collaborate with you as you use Family Tree and other services on FamilySearch.
While the contact name is required, we encourage you to set your email address to be public as well.
You can change your contact information and specify which pieces are displayed in your account settings.
- Sign in to FamilySearch.
- Open your contact settings by using either of these methods:
- In Family Tree or Memories, find a piece of information that you contributed. Click your contact name, and then click Edit Contact Settings.
- In the upper right corner of FamilySearch.org, click your name. Click Settings, and then click Contact.
- Enter your changes.
- Contact name. Your contact name is a name that appears on screen whenever you edit a record. When you created your FamilySearch Account, you were assigned a default contact name that was a modified version of your real name. You can change it to your real name, a modified version of your name, or something else.
- Email. If you sign up to receive notifications from us, they are sent to the email address specified here, whether or not you make it public.
- Phone Number.
- Mobile Number.
- Country. If you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the country comes from your Church membership record. If it is wrong, please ask your ward or branch clerk to correct it.
- Click the Public check box for each item you want to be displayed for other FamilySearch users to see. Only the contact name is required.
- If you want other users who send you messages to see how you are related to them, click the Enable Relationship Viewing check box.
- Click Save Changes.
- Note: After changing your email address or mobile phone number, be sure to follow the instructions that follow for verifying that the information you entered is correct. Failing to do so may prevent you from receiving future messages from FamilySearch.org and recovering any lost or forgotten passwords.
Steps (mobile app)
The Family Tree and Memories mobile apps don't currently allow you to edit your contact name, email address, phone number, mobile phone number, address, or country. Instead, you open a browser on your mobile device, and follow the steps for the website.
In the Family Tree mobile app, you can adjust the setting that allows you to view your relationship to other users.
- While signed in to the Family Tree mobile app:
- Apple iOS: In the bottom right corner, tap the 3 dots.
- Android: In the top left corner, tap the 3 lines.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap View Relationship to Users. Turn this option on to allow FamilySearch to display how you are related to other users. This relationship information appears with your contact information when another FamilySearch user taps on your contact name, as long as both of you have this option turned on.
Note: If you are unable to change the country in your address, the information may be coming from a membership record for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Please contact your local clerk.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Family Tree Lite won't currently allow you to edit your account information. Please sign in at our website, and make your changes there.
Be aware that it may take up to 24 hours for a new contact name to appear on FamilySearch. If other users are watching records that you have modified, your old contact name may still appear in that week's notification email.
How do I change my username or password?
How do I subscribe to email notifications and newsletters?
How do I contact or message a user who contributed to Family Tree or Memories?
How do I turn on or off the option to view my relationship to other users?