How do I correct transcription errors in partially-editable record collections?

Editable fields can vary based on the location and language of the user, and any restrictions associated with the collection.    

General guidelines

When you submit corrections, please follow these guidelines:

  • Do not use this feature to add name variations, nicknames, or aliases. Instead, use the Other Information section of a Family Tree profile for name variations.
  • Enter the information as you see it on the image. For example, if the image contains initials, enter the initials.
  • If information on the image is incorrect (a name that you know is misspelled, for example), you can correct it. For your reason statement, select Wrong in the Document.

Important note

Some record collections on FamilySearch come from other organizations. You cannot edit the index of a third-party collection on FamilySearch. A gray Edit button means that the record is not correctable. Please contact the organization that provided the data and report errors. Here are examples of collections on FamilySearch from other organizations:

  • United States Public Records, 1970-2009
  • Find A Grave Index
  • BillionGraves Index
  • The England and Wales census records
  • Alabama Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865

Find the owner of a collection:

  1. Sign in to FamilySearch
  2. Click Search and then Records.
  3. In the Find a Collection search field, enter the name of the collection. Click the title as it appears below the box.
  4. In the description, look for words like these:
    1. Index courtesy of....
    2. This data has been provided by....
  5. Click How to Use This Collection and learn more about the collection and the owner of the data.

Steps (website or mobile)

  1. Find the incorrectly indexed record. 
  2. Display the indexed content (not the image).
  3. In the dark banner at the top, click Edit.
    1. If the record has an existing edit, you see a new box with options. Click Make a New Edit.
  4. To the right of the field you want to edit, click Edit.  
  5. Make your correction:
    1. In the corresponding fields, enter the correct data. 
    2. Select a reason for the change.
    3. (Optional) Enter a note that explains your change.
  6. On the image, click and drag and create a box over the changed information. The box helps make it clear which portion of the document you corrected.
  7. In some records, after you edit a surname, you can apply the change to all members of the household.
  8. Click Save.


  1. The correction shows on the details page right away. In most cases, corrections are searchable within a few minutes, though the process can take longer, depending on the current load on our system.
  2. For name corrections, after you make the correction, both the incorrect name and the corrected name appear in future search results.
  3. Only the corrected date or place appears in future search results.


  • If you used the record to add a person to Family Tree, check the name in Family Tree, and make corrections as needed.
  • After you make the correction, you can also attach the document to the Family Tree profile of your ancestor.
  • Consider keeping a personal list of any indexing errors that you cannot fix. You can correct them later when more correction options become available. Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this challenge.

How do I edit or delete a correction that I made to an indexed historical record?
How do I attach a historical record to a person in Family Tree?
Why can't I fix indexing or transcription errors?
How do I add nicknames to Family Tree?

Was this helpful?