How do I edit or delete a correction that I made to an indexed historical record?

If you corrected an indexing error in a historical record on FamilySearch, you can edit your correction or delete it. You cannot edit or delete corrections other users make.

Steps (website or mobile)

  1. Find the record you edited. You can search for the historical record or find the person in Family Tree who shows the record as a source. 
  2. Look at the indexed details.
  3. In the dark bar at the top, click Edit.
  4. Click Make a New Edit.
  5. Click Edit to the left of the field you want to edit or delete.
  6. Click the pencil icon to the right of your original edit.
    1. Make your correction, and click Save Changes.
    2. To delete the correction, click the trash can icon.

Steps (Family Tree Lite)

Family Tree Lite currently does not allow you to correct indexing transcription errors.


Corrections show on the details page right away. In most cases, you can search corrections within a few minutes. During peak usage times, it can take longer. 

How do I correct indexing errors in historical records?
Why can't I fix indexing or transcription errors?
Getting the Most from Your Search: Understanding the Search Records Page

Was this helpful?