As you discover and connect your ancestors, you see that others can add to or modify information you contributed.
We believe that, as more people work in Family Tree, the tree grows. With growth, we hope it becomes more accurate. We created several tools to help our users work together.
When other users find sources and reason statements, they are less likely to change good information to less accurate information.
Collaboration tools in Family Tree
- You can follow up to 4,000 tree records that interest you. To follow an ancestor, navigate to the person page. On the right of the name banner, click Following. To see your list and changes, click Tree and then Following.
- Latest Changes shows changes to a person's tree record. From a person page, find Latest Changes on the right. Click Show All to see the full list.
- Sources help users trust the information they see. To see attached sources for a tree record, go to the ancestor’s Person page. Near the top of the screen, click Sources.
- A reason statement explains a change or contribution to an ancestor’s record. Add reason statements wherever you add information.
- The life sketch provides a quick summary of an ancestor's life. A life sketch can help others know if the person is their ancestor. Find the life sketch just above the Vitals section of a person page.
- From a person page, click Collaborate and find the discussion tool. Start a conversation about a shared ancestor. Everyone who visits the ancestor's page can see the conversation.
- From Collaborate, click Notes. Use it to record insights, conclusions, or questions that do not seem to fit anywhere else.
Work together on the tree
Other users sometimes allow us to publish their email address or other contact information. Use it to contact them directly. Or send a FamilySearch message to any FamilySearch user.
As you collaborate with other users in Family Tree, please be courteous and respectful.
How do I follow or unfollow a person in Family Tree?
How do I view all the records in Family Tree I am following?
How do I use the discussions feature in Family Tree?
How do I send a message to a recent contact in FamilySearch Messaging?
How do I send a message to someone who contributed to Family Tree or Memories?