Portrait photos put a face to the names of your relatives. In Family Tree, every person, including those who are living, restricted, and confidential, can have a portrait photo. The portrait appears in several places throughout the Family Tree website and mobile app.
If a person does not have a portrait photo, Family Tree displays a male or female silhouette instead.
Every Family Tree user sees the same portrait for each person in Family Tree. If you change a portrait photo, whether using the website or Family Tree mobile app, all other users who can see that person see the new portrait.
Note: We don’t advise using a private memory as a portrait. If you do, Family Tree makes a copy of the private image that can be viewed publicly as a portrait or when editing the portrait.
- In Family Tree on the FamilySearch website, display the person page.
- Click the silhouette or portrait photo.
- Click one of the options:
- Add Portrait
- Replace Portrait
- Edit Portrait
- Remove Portrait
- Select or upload the photo that you want to use as a portrait. You can select from the photos that are already attached to this person, select a photo from your Memories Gallery, or upload a new photo from your computer.
- Adjust the portrait so that it displays as you want it:
- Use the slider bar to adjust the photo's size.
- Drag the photo until the part you want to use is in the circle.
- Click Save as Portrait.
Steps (mobile app)
- In the Family Tree mobile app, display the person page.
- Tap the silhouette or portrait photo.
- Tap Replace Portrait.
- If you are on an Android device, tap one of the options:
- To take a new photo, tap Camera. Then take the photo, and upload it to FamilySearch.
- To use a photo that is on your device, tap File. Then select the photo, and upload it to FamilySearch.
- To use a photo that has already been uploaded to FamilySearch and tagged to this person, tap Attached Photos.
- To use a photo that you uploaded to FamilySearch but have not yet tagged to this person, tap My Memories.
- If you are on an Apple iOS device, the photos that have already been uploaded to FamilySearch and tagged to this person are displayed. If the photo that you want is not displayed, tap Attached Photos. Then select the appropriate option:
- If you have uploaded the photo to FamilySearch but not yet tagged it to this person, tap FamilySearch.
- If the photo is on your device, or if you want to take a photo, tap Camera Roll.
- Tap the photo that you want to use.
- Use the green dot to adjust the size of the tag.
- Move the tag so that it covers the portion of the photo that you want to use.
- Tap Save.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Family Tree Lite does not currently use portrait photos.
If the full version of this photo was not already shown with this person’s memories, it is added to the person’s memories.
If you uploaded a new photo, a green clock icon appears in the silhouette until the photo has been screened and approved for usage on FamilySearch.org. This typically takes about 15 minutes.