Portrait photos put a face to the names of your relatives. In Family Tree, every person, including those who are living, restricted, and confidential, can have a portrait photo. The portrait appears in several places throughout the Family Tree website and mobile app.
If a person does not have a portrait photo, Family Tree displays a male or female silhouette instead.
Every Family Tree user sees the same portrait for each person in Family Tree. If you change a portrait photo, whether using the website or Family Tree mobile app, all other users who can see that person see the new portrait.
Note: We don’t advise using a private memory as a portrait. If you do, Family Tree makes a copy of the private image that can be viewed publicly as a portrait or when editing the portrait.
- In Family Tree on the FamilySearch website, display the person page.
- Click the silhouette or portrait photo.
- Click one of the options:
- Add Portrait
- Replace Portrait
- Edit Portrait
- Remove Portrait
- Select or upload the photo that you want to use as a portrait. You can select from the photos that are already attached to this person, select a photo from your Memories Gallery, or upload a new photo from your computer.
- Adjust the portrait so that it displays as you want it:
- Use the slider bar to adjust the photo's size.
- Drag the photo until the part you want to use is in the circle.
- Click Save as Portrait.
Steps (mobile app)
- In the Family Tree mobile app, display the person page.
- Tap the silhouette or portrait photo.
- On an Apple iOS device, tap the enlarged photo.
- Tap the pencil icon.
- Tap Replace Portrait.
- If you are on an Android device, tap one of the options:
- To take a new photo, tap Camera. Then take the photo, and upload it to FamilySearch.
- To use a photo that is on your device, tap File. Then select the photo, and upload it to FamilySearch.
- To use a photo that has already been uploaded to FamilySearch and tagged to this person, tap Attached Photos.
- To use a photo that you uploaded to FamilySearch, tap FamilySearch Gallery. You see photos no yet tagged to the person.
- If you are on an Apple iOS device, tap one of the options:
- Take photo lets you capture a new photo with your device.
- If the photo is on your device, tap Camera Roll.
- To use a photo in your files, tap My Files.
- Attached Photos lets you choose from other photos tagged to the person.
- If you have uploaded the photo to FamilySearch but not yet tagged it to this person, tap My FamilySearch Gallery.
- Tap the photo that you want to use.
- Use the green dot to adjust the size of the tag.
- Move the tag so that it covers the portion of the photo that you want to use.
- Tap Save.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Family Tree Lite does not currently use portrait photos.
When you add a new photo, the system adds it to the Memories for the person.
If you uploaded a new photo, a green clock icon appears in the silhouette until the photo has been screened and approved for usage on FamilySearch.org. This typically takes about 15 minutes.