To use FamilySearch, you need to create a free account. You can create your account from both FamilySearch and the website of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Regardless of the website used to create the account, the account is called a Church Account.
- You must be 13 years old or older to register.
- Children between the ages of 8 and 12-years-old can register with parental permission, which is obtained by email during the registration process. Only a parent or legal guardian can legally authorize a child to register for FamilySearch.
This article explains how to create an account from the Church's website. To create an account directly from FamilySearch, see the articles linked at the bottom.
- Go to the Church's website, and click My Account and Ward.
- Click Sign In.
- Click Register for a Church Account.
- Select the country of your citizenship from the drop-down menu, then click Continue.
- Create a username and password, then click Continue.
- Accounts for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: Click the checkbox at the top of the page signifying your membership. Enter your Church record number (CRN) and your birth date. Click Continue.
- Click Create Account.
Parent or Guardian Consent
There are three ways to verify parental or guardian consent.
- Church Record Number: The parent or guardian enters his or her Church record number and clicks Register.
- Email: The parent (or guardian) enters the email address associated with his or her Church record number and clicks Register. (If the email address of the child was used in the initial registration process, open that email account to find the authorization email.)
- The system sends the parent or guardian an email.
- Locate the email from FamilySearch, and open it.
- Click Authorize.
- The message "Your Consent Has Been Recorded" appears.
- Mobile Phone: The parent (or guardian) enters the phone number associated with his or her Church record number, selects the country, and clicks Register.
- The parent or guardian receives an SMS text message.
- Enter the verification code, and follow the instructions.
Recommended Next Step
You can now review the contact information and notification preferences in FamilySearch settings for accuracy.