The FamilySearch apps are a great way to take your family history on the go. In many cases, they offer the same or similar functionality as the website. There are a few areas where they do not offer the same functionality.
Some features require internet access through WiFi or a data plan.
The FamilySearch Memories app allows you to do the following:
- Upload photos, documents, stories, and audio files into your Gallery.
- Organize your memory items into albums.
- Archive or unarchive memory items.
- Access recently deleted items.
What is performed in the mobile app will also take effect in your Memories Gallery on the website and vice versa.
The biggest difference between the mobile app and the website is that the website allows you to see memories contributed about your relatives by other FamilySearch users. You can search all of the memories and add important date and place details.
Family Tree app
The FamilySearch Family Tree app allows you to do the following:
- View your family tree in the portrait or fan view.
- Add or edit information and relationships.
- Search and attach records as sources.
- Generate tasks lists.
- Search for duplicates, and merge them.
- Add and view memory items.
- View your relationship to an individual.
The following features are unique to the mobile Family Tree app:
- Relatives Around Me
- Map My Ancestors
The Family Tree mobile app lacks a few features that are available on the website.
- The website allows you to view your tree in different layouts.
- The People page of the Memories feature is not available on the mobile app.
- While it is still possible to manage the sources attached to your ancestors, the Source Box feature is not available for the mobile app.
- Features such as time lines or maps can only be viewed on the website.
The FamilySearch Get Involved app provides simple tools to unlock family names in historic documents so they can be searched online for free.
The Get Involved mobile app is currently available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
If you need to complete tasks not possible in the apps
If you need to complete tasks that are not possible in the mobile apps, go to the FamilySearch.org website from your computer or from a web browser on your mobile device