FamilySearch collects, preserves, and shares genealogical records worldwide and works to make these records available to all people.
We began collecting oral family histories and genealogies in the Pacific Island countries of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, and Tahiti in the 1960s. Collection work expanded to the southeast Asian countries of Indonesia and Malaysia in the 1980s. Today, FamilySearch collects and preserves oral histories and genealogies in Africa. The project aims to preserve important family information for future generations to enjoy.
- Sign in to FamilySearch.org.
- On the FamilySearch home page, click Search.
- Click Genealogies.
- Scroll down to the section titled Explore one of our collections.
- Oral Genealogies is the collection on the right.
- Click Search for a Person.
- Enter your search terms. Click More Options for more options.
- Use the options to narrow your search.
- You can add multiple names, events, and relationships by clicking the blue words under each category. The information you enter will be added to your search query.
- To search for an exact match, click the circle for Show Exact Searching Fields, located near the bottom of the search area.
- Click Search.
- If the search yields too many results, try refining your search.
- Several filtering options appear at the top of the page, beneath the words Filter Results, including Collection, Sex, Birth, Marriage, and Death.
- Additional filtering options appear in the column on the right. Here you can modify the person's name, add or remove a life event, add a relationship, or change the collection.
- To update your search click Search again. To clear all of the search fields, click Reset.
- From the list of search results, click the name that interests you.
- Above the pedigree chart, in the section titled Oral Genealogies, review the information about the person's oral history. To read the complete entry, be sure to click More . . . .
- If there are oral genealogies, you will be able to access them through the links shown.
Steps (mobile app)
The Genealogies feature is not available on our mobile apps. Visit the website to find oral genealogies.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Family Tree Lite does not include the Genealogies feature. Visit the full website to find oral genealogies.