Rhode Island Newspapers
|Rhode Island Wiki Topics|
|Rhode Island Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Newspaper Archive ($)
- Online Rhode Island Newspapers
- Rhode Island Newspapers Online
- World Vital Records Newspaper Archive Collection in Rhode Island ($)
- Rhode Island Newspapers, index
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
- 1778-1938 Rhode Island Newspapers, 1778-1938 at MyHeritage — index ($)
Newspapers provide valuable genealogical information, including obituaries, marriage announcements, biographical sketches, divorce notices, and so forth. Other personal information may be included in various sections of a newspaper. Rhode Island's first newspaper was published in 1732.
Locating Rhode Island Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections
- A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England ([Holden, Massachusetts]: New England Library Association, 1978) FHL fiche 6051391; book 974 B32n Digitzed version available through FamilySearch Catalog entry.
- 1798-1799 - Weekly Companion; and the Commercial Centinel at Google News - free.
- 1801-1841 - Rhode-Island Republican at Google News - free.
Resources for Rhode Island Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- The Rhode Island Historical Society has copies of virtually all newspapers published in the state. They have some newspaper indexes. The Family History Library has not acquired copies of Rhode Island newspapers.
- Marriage and death notices for 1758 to 1833 from several major Rhode Island newspapers have been published in volumes 12 to 21 of James N. Arnold, Vital Records of Rhode Island 1636-1850 FHL film 908269 item 1 (first of 18 films); microfiche 6046912, book 974.5 V2a Digitized version available through FamilySearch Catalog entry. There are surname indexes in most of the volumes.