Finland Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
Many Legacy collections contain records from localities other than that which the collection is for. If available, please consult the coverage table to see what other localities may be included.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Finland Burials, 1725-1909
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Finland|
|Map of Finland|
|Location of Finland in Europe|
|National Archives Service of Finland|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is an index to burials in Finland for the years 1725 to 1909. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records in this collection usually contain the following information:
- Burial date and place
- Death place
The records may also include:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Parents' names
- Spouse's name
- Names of other family members
- Marital status
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
This collection is a partial index of records for the localities listed below as of April 2010. The table below shows the number of records by locality. Localities not listed may not have any records in this collection.
Most of these records date from the time period indicated in the columns below; however, there may be records before and after these dates. Record counts where the locality information was incomplete are included below under the country name. Because of this, you may wish to search only by country.
Some of these records may have been included in the former International Genealogical Index (IGI). As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify the information in original records. Due to privacy laws not all records may be displayed.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage and baptisms records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Finland Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Check for variations of given names and surnames. It was not uncommon for an individual to be listed under a nickname, middle name, or abbreviation of their given name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try searching based on how the name may have been pronounced
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Finland.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.