Columbia Mississippi Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Columbia Mississippi Family History Center serves Marion County and its surrounding areas. There are around seventeen staff serving in the center, with a wide variety of knowledge and experience. The center has a large collection of microfilms, microfiche, and books available for the public to view. A unique feature of this center is that it has numerous binders full of fifteen generation charts of many local families and their ancestors going back through the centuries.
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 805 West Lakeview Dr Columbia Mississippi 39429
- The center is located inside the Columbia Ward building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- The building is located on the bend just past the large pond.
- The entrance is located at the rear of the building, with signs leading to the door (see the photo above).
- Language: English
- Tuesday: 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Wednesday: 5:00pm-8:00pm
Closed on all Federal holidays.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- A large collection of microfilm and microfiche.
- Books on various resources and familes from Mississippi.
- Five or six large binders full of completed/partially completed fifteen generation charts of many local families and their ancestors.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Seven computers with Internet Explorer
- Two printers
- Two microfilm readers
- One microfiche reader
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
- Marion County Courthouse: 250 Broad Street, Columbia, MS 39429
- University of Southern Mississippi McCain Library and Archives: P.O. Box 5148, Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148
Phone: (601) 266-4345
Fax: (601) 266-4409
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History: 100 South State Street, P.O. Box 571, Jackson, MS 39201
Phone: (601) 359-6850
Phone: (601) 359-6975
- Mississippi Genealogical Society: P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi State Archives: 200 North Street, Jackson, Mississippi 39205-0571 Phone: (601) 576-6876
Links[edit | edit source]
- Using the FamilySearch Research Wiki: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
FamilySearch Wiki Articles:
- FamilySearch Wiki - United States
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi
- FamilySearch Wiki - Marion County, Mississippi
- FamilySearch Wiki - What to bring to the Family History Center
- FamilySearch Wiki - Introduction to Family History Centers
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi Archives and Libraries
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi Online Genealogy Records
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi Genealogy
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi Emigration and Immigration
- FamilySearch Wiki - Mississippi in the Civil War
Mississippi Archives and Libraries: