Zuni Indian Agency (New Mexico)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Zuni Agency was established in 1902. Prior to that date, the Zuin Pueblo and school had been under the jurisdiction, successively, of the Pueblo Agency, the Pueblo and Jicarilla Agency, and the Albuquerque Indian School, in that order. It was reduced to the status of a subagency and placed under the United Pueblos Agency, 1 July 1935. It continued to operate under that status until about 1952.
At least some of the records of the Zuni Agency are in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver. Among those records are:
- "Sanitary Record" of births, deaths, and illnesses, 1900-1910
- Register of employees, 1905-1906
- Student record books for the Zuni Boarding School, 1906-1911
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Zuni Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 174, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724392.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1904-1905, 1907, 1915-1924, and 1926-1935. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 689 thru 692. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583148-583150 and 1004871). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.