Original homeland Tennessee and along the Savannah River in Georgia and South Carolina.
Linquistice group: Siouan
Early non Indian contact in 1530's with their incounter with Hernando de Soto explorer for Spain
Epidemics of smallpox and war diministhed the populations in the late 1500's and 1600's.
The tribe became allies with the Creek Nation fighting against the United States in 1813.
The tribe was removed to Oklahoma in the 1830's with the Creek and Seminole tribes. Tribal members became absorbed into the Creek and Seminole tribes
Link to History
Brief Time Line
- Early non Indian contact record by Hernando de Soto in the 1530's., who explored the region for Spain in 1539-43
- 1630's: Yachi warriors attacked Spanish settlements in Florica.
- 1750's; Alliances formed with Creek
- 1813: Ally with the Creek Nation against the U.S. government
- 1832-36: moved with the Creek into Indian Territory
- Yuchi who lived in Tennessee joined with the Cherokee and were absorbed into the Seminoe
The Yuchi are considered part of the Creek Tribe by the United States Gorvernment.
The Yuchi Indians do not have a reservation of their own
Important Web Sites
The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. by Saron Malinowski and Anna Sheets Vol. 1. Northeast, Southeast and Caribbean