Yavapai County, Arizona Genealogy
|Yavapai County, Arizona|
Location in the state of Arizona
Location of Arizona in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1864|
|Address|| 120 South Cortez Street,|
Prescott, AZ 86303
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Family History Centers
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Yavapai County Arizona
1015 Fair Street
Prescott, Az 86301
Clerk Superio Court has marriage, divorce probate and court records
County Recorder has land records 
- Until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- In 1821 - Mexico obtained jurisdiction over the land that later would become Arizona. Records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City.
- In 1846 - New Mexico Territory was setup, it included land that later would become Arizona.
- In 1852 - New Mexico Territory created counties that stretched east and west from the Texas border to the California border, including all the land that became Arizona. Land in present-day Yavapai County, Arizona was once part of Santa Ana, Bernalillo, Valencia, and Socorro counties of New Mexico.  Records during this period may have been sent to courthouses in their respective New Mexico counties.
- In 1863 - Arizona Territory was created from the western half of New Mexico territory. All previous counties were dissolved, and eventually four new counties were created in the new Arizona Territory.
21 December 1864 - Yavapai County was created as an original county of Arizona. County seat: Prescott 
|Abra||Congress||Glen Oaks||Minnehaha||South Fort|
|Arcosanti||Congress Junction||Goodwin||Mint||Spring Valley|
|Ash Fork||Copperopolis||Grand View||Nelson||Stanton|
|Audley||Cordes||Granite Dells||Oak Creek||Stringfield|
|Aultman||Cordes Junction||Granite Siding||Oak Knoll Village||Sycamore|
|Bagdad||Cordes Lakes||Groom Creek||Ocotillo||Tapco|
|Big Park||Cornville||Hawkins||Octave||Tres Rios|
|Big Reef Mill||Cottonwood||Hecla||Packer||Tutt|
|Black Canyon City||Crookton||Highland Park||Page Springs||Venezia|
|Blue Hills Farms||Crown King||Hillside||Paulden||Verde Village|
|Bradshaw City||Dandrea||Hooper||Peeples Valley||Wagoner|
|Briggs||Del Rio||Humbug||Pica||Walnut Grove|
|Bumble Bee||Dewey||Iron Springs||Piedmont||West Sedona|
|Camp Verde||Diamond Valley||Jordan Meadows||Poland Junction||Wilhoit|
|Casa Rosa||Drake||Juniper Heights||Ponderosa Park||Williamson|
|Castle Canyon||Dugas||Kirkland||Potato Patch||Willow Spring|
|Mesa||East Fort||Kirkland Junction||Prescott||Wood Trap|
|Castle Hot Springs||Entro||Lake Montezuma||Prescott Valley||Yampai|
|Cedar Mill||Flores||Lancaster||Red Rock||Yarnell|
|Chino Valley||Flower Pot||Lapham||Rimrock||Yava|
|Clarkdale||Forbing Park||Lehman Mill||Rock Springs||Yavapai Hills|
|Clear Creek||Fort Misery||Mayer||Sand Mill|
|Clemenceau||Gillette||Middle Verde||Skull Valley|
|Columbia||Glen Ilah||Miller Valley||Smelter city|
The Yavapai County Cemetery Database is an accumulation of a cemetery project which began in 1989 by the Northern Arizona Genealogy Society and housed on the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives website at: http://sharlot.org/archives/gene/cemetery/index.html
Prescott National Cemetery: 3,195 Veterans Administration burial records are included. Does not include all burials in the cemetery, only those provided by the VA.
- Ferguson-Morrell Cemetery, Prescott
- Humboldt Cemetery, Dewey-Humboldt
- Rolling Hills Cemetery, Prescott
For tips on accessing Yavapai County, Arizona Genealogy census records online, see: Arizona Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Arizona Daily Journal-Miner - full-text digital issues in Google News Archive; covers 1900-1902
- Arizona Journal-Miner - Google News Archive; covers 1903-1912
- Arizona Miner - Google News Archive; covers 1866-1871
- Arizona Weekly Journal-Miner - Google News Archive; covers 1893-1900
- Arizona Weekly Miner - Google News Archive; covers 1877
4,374 marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
Northern Arizona Genealogical Society- Our Society is a general genealogical society covering the counties of Yavapai and Coconino Arizona. Prescott is the county seat for Yavapai County and Flagstaff is the county seat for Coconino County.
Camp Verde Historical Society
435 South Main
Camp Verde, AZ 86322
Hours 11-3 Sat. & Tues
Verde Historical Society
One N. Willard St.
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
Hours 9-12 Wed.; Fri.-Sun. 11-3
Jerome Historical Society
200 Main Street
Jerome, Arizona 86331
Hours 9-4:30 daily
Family History Centers
Bagdad, Yavapai, Arizona, United States
1377 Hombre Dr
Cottonwood, Yavapai, Arizona, United States
1001 Ruth St
Prescott, Yavapai, Arizona, United States
Spring Valley Arizona
HWY 69 (2 mi from Dordis Jct)
Spring Valley, Yavapai, Arizona, United States
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Yavapai County, Arizona Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Yavapai County, Arizona p. 57. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale, and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987), 26. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Original Counties of New Mexico Territory (map) at http://www.nmgs.org/Graphics/nmcoun-orig.jpg (accessed 9 August 2011).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).