Yankton County, South Dakota Genealogy
Yankton County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Yankton County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1862|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Yankton County Courthouse
410 Walnut Street; PO Box 155;
Yankton, SD 57078
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905
and burial records; County Treas has marriage records from 1900;
Clerk Court has divorce, proabte and court records from 1900;
Director Assessments has land records
1862--Yankton County was created 10 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Yankton 
Various Yankton County Cemeteries transcriptions which may include the name of deceased, date of death and birth, lot and plot numbers nd age.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- Records of Tradjem Lutheran Church, Yankton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Template:South Dakota-stub
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Yankton County, South Dakota, p.629
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).