Wythe County, Virginia Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census[edit | edit source]
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tennessee: Mountain Press, 2001. Available at FHL. [Includes this county.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
Church[edit | edit source]
Court[edit | edit source]
Family Histories[edit | edit source]
- [Andruss] Kokojan, Merriam and Barbara A. Irwin. Andruss Family. Irving, Texas: M. Kokojan, 1985. Available at FHL.
- [Braun] See Brown.
- [Brown] Balis, Leila Smith. My Braun/Brown Family of Lebanon Co., Pa.; Wythe Co., Va.; Clinton Co., Oh. [Murray, Utah: L.S. Balis, 1999]. Available at FHL.
- [Bunts] Tickle, James Robert. The Tickle, Bunts, Bond and Jennings Families of Southwest Virginia: A Family History with Some North Carolina Roots. Morristown, Tennessee: J.R. Tickle, c1996. Available at FHL.
- [Calhoun] Johnson, Ellen R. History of the Colquhoun/Calhoun Families and Their Ancestral Homeland. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1993. Available at FHL.
- [Chaney] Lewis, Olan R. and Dorothy Anne Vedder Jenner. The Hezekiah Chaney Sr. Family. Lakeport, Ca.: O.R. Lewis, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Colquhoun] See Calhoun.
- [Creager] See Phillippe and Shupe.
- [Kelly] Stallard, Christine and Conley D. Stallard. The Ferguson Connection: Russell County, Virginia, 1775-1994 : A Family History. [Ormond Beach, Florida]: C. Stallard, c1995. Available at FHL.
- [McGavock] Aiken, Leona Taylor. The Descendants of James McGavock, Sr. and the McGavock Mansions, Fort Chiswell, Va and Carnton, Franklin, Tenn. Rogersville, Tenn.: L.T. Aiken, 1986. Available at FHL.
- [Phillippe] Smith, Donald R. Phillippe Ancestry. Hopkinsville, Kentucky: Donald R. Smith, 2005. Available at FHL.
- [Rutherford] Jobe, Sybil Shipley. My Shipley Family: A Genealogical History of the Christopher Shipley Family. Neosho, Missouri: S.S. Jobe, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Scott] Thomas, LaVerne and Kay Lee Wrage Gunn. The Scotts of Southwest Virginia: Descendants of the James & Rachel Scott of Wythe/Smyth County and Ten Other Early Lines. 3 vols. Marion, Virginia: Dean Tucker Printing, c1999. Available at FHL; digital versions of Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3, courtesy: BYU Family History Archives.
- [Shupe] Hansen, Holly T., Charlene Strickland, and Samuel S. Lower. Andrew Jackson Shupe, 1815-1877 and Mary Elizabeth Creager, 1820-1900. Croydon, Utah: H.T. Hansen, 1995. Available at FHL.
- [Thompson] Cragun, Brian J. Andrew Thompson of Wythe and Bland Counties, Virginia and Descendants. Rochester, Minnesota: B.J. Cragun, 1995. Available at FHL.
- [Totten] Dillon, Anna Mary Totten. The John Totten Family of Early Tazewell County, Virginia (McDowell County, W. Va.) and Descendants 1774 - 1986. Columbus, Ohio: A.M.T. Dillon, 1986. Available at FHL.
- [Totten] Dillon, Anna Mary Totten. Errara and Additional Totten Families of The John Totten Family of Early Tazewell Co., Va. (McDowell Co., W. Va.) and Descendants, 1774-1986. [Columbus, Ohio]: A.M.T. Dillon, [1990?]. Available at FHL.
Land[edit | edit source]
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 976 patents dated 1750-1883 in what is now Wythe County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. 2009. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- Kegley, Mary B. and F.B. Kegley. Early Adventurers on the Western Waters. 5 vols. Orange, Va.: Green Publishers, 1980, 1982 and Wytheville, Va.: Kegley Books, 1995, 1998. Available at FHL.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. Available at FHL. [Includes Smyth County pensioners.]
- Douthat, James L. Wythe County, VA, Civil War Records, 1861-1865. 1986. Available at FHL.
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in the Virginia Gazette and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia.
Probate[edit | edit source]
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Wythe County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 25, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1981):49-51. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
Taxation[edit | edit source]
At first glance, researchers might conclude that Virginia tax lists contain very little family history data, though one soon learns that valuable genealogical conclusions can be drawn from these records, nicknamed "annual censuses," such as: relationships, approximate years of birth, socio-economic status, identification of neighbors, the ability to distinguish between persons of the same name, evidence of land inheritance, years of migration, and years of death.
Virginia began enumerating residents' payments of personal property and land taxes in 1782. These two types of taxation were recorded in separate registers. Personal property tax lists include more names than land tax lists, because they caught more of the population. The Family History Library has an excellent microfilm collection of personal property tax lists from 1782 (or the year the county was organized) well into the late nineteenth century for most counties, but only scattered land tax lists. Microfilm collections at The Library of Virginia include land tax lists for all counties and independent cities for the years 1782 through 1978, as well as personal property tax lists for the years 1782 through 1930 (and every fifth year thereafter). Taxes were not collected in 1808.
Some tax records are available online or in print, though published abstracts often omit useful details found only in the original sources. Statewide indexes can help genealogists identify specific counties where surnames occurred in the past, providing starting points for research.
- [1770-1773] Kegley, Mary B. New River Tithables, 1770-1773. Wytheville, Virginia: M.B. Kegley, 1972. Available at FHL.
-  Images of the 1793 Personal Property Tax List of Wythe County, Virginia are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
- [1793-1800] Murphy, Malita Warden and James L. Douthat. Wythe County, Va. Tax List, 1793-1800. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 1985. Available at FHL.
-  Indexed images of the 1800 Personal Property Tax List of Wythe County, Virginia are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Wythe County is included in Vol. 5.]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
References[edit | edit source]
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Using Personal Property Tax Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia," Library of Virginia, http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/rn3_persprop.htm.
- "Using Land Tax Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia," Library of Virginia, http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/rn1_landtax.pdf.