Wyoming County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Wyoming County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Wyoming County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1850|
|Address|| Wyoming County Courthouse|
Pineville, WV 24874
Phone: 304 732-8000
Wyoming County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Genealogy
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Naturalization
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Research Guides
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Wyoming County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death from 1853
Probate and Land from 1853
Bond books and court order books from 1850
Clerk Circuit Court Divorce and Court Records
Wyoming County West Virginia History
Wyoming County West VirginiaHistory rootsweb
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Death records are missing for the years 1860-64, (partial) 1865-67, 1868-74.
Places / Localities
Wyoming CountyCities & Towns
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|WVGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Wyoming County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
West Virginia Court Orders
- Cooke - "John Cooke First Settler of Wyoming County," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jul. 1964):44-45. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Reference Book of Wyoming County by Mary Keller Bowman
- Logan County Recreated (includes 1850 Wyoming County, Virginia Census) & more
- Maps of West Virginia (1617-1995)
- 1850 Map of Virginia and West Virginia
- Wyoming County West Virginia 1895 map
Wyoming County, West Virginia Map
Trails Rus - Wyoming County, West Virginia
Regiments. Service men in Wyoming County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Wyoming County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company H.
- - 2nd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company G.
- - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (1st Kanawha Regiment). Company H (Wyoming Riflemen).
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company K.
- - 45th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Companies B, C, and D.
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1881 - 1865 Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- Turner, Ronald Ray. 7th West Virginia Cavalry. Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989. Available online, courtesy: Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb. Includes biographical sketches of soldiers from Wyoming County.
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Wyoming County, West Virginia Will Books 1850 - 1967
West Virginia Will Books
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Wyoming County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1976):300-301. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1850-1851, 1854-1968 - free.
- Wyoming County, West Virginia Birth Records
- Wyoming County, West Virginia Marriage Records
- Wyoming County, West Virginia Death Records
Societies and Libraries
- Wyoming County Genealogical Society;P O Box 1456, Pineville, WV 24874
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Wyoming County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Wyoming County, West Virginia VariousMicrofilm Records at the Library of Virginia
- Wyoming County, WV Courthouse and Genealogical Society
- Wyoming County, WV Places
- Wyoming County, WV Websites
- Wyoming County, WV 1850 Census in Logan County, Virginia Recreated
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wyoming County, West Virginia. Page 746 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Terry D. Lowry, 22nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 44.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.
- Jeffrey C. Weaver, 45th Battalion Virginia Infantry, Smith and Count's Battalions of Partisan Rangers (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 102.
- Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.