Difference between revisions of "Worthing, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Added to parish history)
m (Text replace - "== Reference ==" to "== References ==")
Line 80: Line 80:
 
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/worthing/worthing.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
 
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/worthing/worthing.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
  
== Reference ==
+
== References ==
  
 
{{reflist}}
 
{{reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 15:15, 23 August 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Worthing-g1.jpg


Parish History

WORTHING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. by E.) from East Dereham. [1]


Worthing, St Margaret is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deaneryof the Diocese of Norwich.

A Norman round towered church whose tower was lowered and capped in the 18th century.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Mitford 1837-1938
  • East Dereham 1939-1974


Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Norfolk Record Office reference PD 538/ 1-5

This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication

Content
Film
Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1812 Marriages 1601-1610, 1625-1636, 1668-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1811
FHL BRITISH Film
1526742 Item 2

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/worthing.htm for transcripts of parish Baptisms in Norfolk Baptisms Project

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



Poor Law Unions

Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/worthing-st-margaret/ for information about the parish

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/451598 for images of the church

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-220770-church-of-st-margaret-hoe British Listed Buildings

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/worthing/worthing.htm Norfolk Churches website

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 687-692. Date accessed: 12 August 2013.