Difference between revisions of "Worthing, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
 +
 +
[[Image:Worthing_St_Margaret.jpg|thumb|right|Worthing St Margaret]]
 +
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Worthing, St Margaret is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.<br>
+
Worthing, St Margaret is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deaneryof the Diocese of Norwich.<br>  
  
A Norman round towered church whose towr was lowered and capped in the 18th century.
+
A Norman round towered church whose tower was lowered and capped in the 18th century.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
 +
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 +
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 +
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 538/ 1-5
+
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 538/ 1-5  
  
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held<br>A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication<br>
+
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held<br>A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication<br>  
  
{| style="width: 709px; height: 125px" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
+
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 709px; height: 125px;"
 
|-
 
|-
| Content<br>
+
| Content<br>  
 
| Film<br>
 
| Film<br>
 
|-
 
|-
| Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1812 Marriages 1601-1610, 1625-1636, 1668-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1811 <br>
+
| Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1812 Marriages 1601-1610, 1625-1636, 1668-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1811 <br>  
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1526742 Item 2<br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1526742 Item 2<br>
 
|}
 
|}
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 32: Line 38:
 
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
+
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>  
  
==== Poor Law Unions ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions ====
  
Mitford &amp;Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
+
Mitford &amp;Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm  
  
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
+
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.  
  
[[Norfolk_Poor_Law_Unions]]<br><br>
+
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]<br><br>  
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
 +
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 +
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 +
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 +
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
 +
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 07:39, 24 June 2010

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk

Worthing St Margaret

Parish History

Worthing, St Margaret is an Ancient parish in the Brisley deaneryof the Diocese of Norwich.

A Norman round towered church whose tower was lowered and capped in the 18th century.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Norfolk Record Office reference PD 538/ 1-5

This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the Family History Library Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication

Content
Film
Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1812 Marriages 1601-1610, 1625-1636, 1668-1812 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1636, 1665-1811
FHL BRITISH Film
1526742 Item 2


Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.