WorldCat Online Catalog
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:53, 23 January 2014 by DiltsGD (t)
OCLC WorldCat is an online union catalog of 72,000 libraries in 172 countries and territories. The catalog of the Family History Library was made available via WorldCat in 2014. The OCLC WorldCat points to over 1.93 billion physical and digital assets in over 72,000 repositories in more than 470 languages. Although it is the world’s largest bibliographic database for materials held around the world, it is not comprehensive.
See also Finding Microfilmed Newspapers, which includes WorldCat instructions and screenshots.
Searching WorldCat is simple:
- Go to http://www.worldcat.org/
- Type in some keywords for the title, subject or person. An advanced search option is also available.
- Click on the name of the title you need.
- Enter your location and then click "find libraries".
- Scroll down and click on the name of a holding library.
- Click on details to see description of the item. You can see a Full Record, Brief Record, or have A Look Inside.
- Click on Request Interlibrary Loan to see details on lending, or check with your local library for assistance.