Worcester County, Massachusetts Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Genealogy
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Worcester County Courthouse
2 Main Street;
Worcester, MA 01608-1116
Register of Deeds has land records Probate Court has
probate records from 1731; Town Clerks have birth, marriage
and death records
In 1997, the county governments of Middlesex, Berkshire, Essex, Hampden and Worcester were abolished. Their functions were turned over to state agencies. Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees. The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
New Braintree 1751,
Places / Localities
Worcester, Fitchburg, Uxbridge, Mendon, Sturbridge, Milford, Uxbridge, more...
- Evergreen Cemetery, Leominster
- Harvard Center Cemetery, Harvard
- Mooreland Cemetery, Paxton
- Notre Dame Cemetery, Worcester
- Saint Leo Cemetery, Leominster
- St. Patricks Cemetery, Whitinsville
For tips on accessing Worcester County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on FamilySearch Historical Records. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on FamilySearch Historical Records. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
Moorhouse, B-Ann. A Moorhouse Family of Dublin, Carlow and Kildare. Pictures and Genealogy of Moorhouse family in Ireland, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, with small amount in Worcester Mass. and New York, covering years 1672-1945. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol.IX, no.1, 1977, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v9.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Boston newspapers, Fitchburg newspapers (1868-1977), and The Lowell Sun (1878-1977) that covered local news on Worcester County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Worcester County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Worcester County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Worcester County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Worcester County
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Worchester County, Massachusetts, p.331.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].