Difference between revisions of "Wonersh, Surrey Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - 'Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film )
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 5: Line 5:
 
WONERSH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, First division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Guildford; containing 1213 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Guildford to Brighton, and comprises 4388 acres, of which 2495 are arable, 585 meadow, 507 wood, and the rest common. The surface is hilly towards the eastern boundary, and flat in the opposite direction; the soil is partly clay, but the larger portion of it sand: ironstone abounds. The Wey and Arun canal passes through the parish. In the village is a mill for dressing leather, which affords employment to forty persons. Charles II. granted a market and fair to be kept at Shimley-Green, in the parish; the former has fallen into disuse, and the latter dwindled to a small pleasure-fair held on the 11th of June. The manor-house of Tangley, originally a hunting-box of King John's, was in 1585 converted into a residence for the family of Sir Francis Duncombe. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 1. 3., and in the patronage of Lord Grantley, the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £700, and those of the vicar for £176. 13. The church, with the exception of the tower and north wall, was rebuilt in 1795, and is picturesquely situated in Wonersh Park, his lordship's seat: at the east end of the north aisle is the family vault, in which is interred Judge Chappie, whose daughter married Sir Fletcher Norton, speaker of the house of commons for 12 years, and raised to the peerage in 1782, by the title of Lord Grantley, Baron of Markenfield. There are two places of worship for Independents.
 
WONERSH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, First division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Guildford; containing 1213 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Guildford to Brighton, and comprises 4388 acres, of which 2495 are arable, 585 meadow, 507 wood, and the rest common. The surface is hilly towards the eastern boundary, and flat in the opposite direction; the soil is partly clay, but the larger portion of it sand: ironstone abounds. The Wey and Arun canal passes through the parish. In the village is a mill for dressing leather, which affords employment to forty persons. Charles II. granted a market and fair to be kept at Shimley-Green, in the parish; the former has fallen into disuse, and the latter dwindled to a small pleasure-fair held on the 11th of June. The manor-house of Tangley, originally a hunting-box of King John's, was in 1585 converted into a residence for the family of Sir Francis Duncombe. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 1. 3., and in the patronage of Lord Grantley, the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £700, and those of the vicar for £176. 13. The church, with the exception of the tower and north wall, was rebuilt in 1795, and is picturesquely situated in Wonersh Park, his lordship's seat: at the east end of the north aisle is the family vault, in which is interred Judge Chappie, whose daughter married Sir Fletcher Norton, speaker of the house of commons for 12 years, and raised to the peerage in 1782, by the title of Lord Grantley, Baron of Markenfield. There are two places of worship for Independents.
  
From: Samuel A. Lewis'&nbsp; ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' (1848), pp. 649-652. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51423 Date accessed: 14 April 2011.<br>  
+
From: Samuel A. Lewis'&nbsp; ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' (1848), pp. 649-652. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51423 Date accessed: 14 April 2011.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 14:21, 11 February 2012

England  Gotoarrow.png  Surrey Gotoarrow.png  Surrey Parishes

Parish History

WONERSH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, First division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Guildford; containing 1213 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Guildford to Brighton, and comprises 4388 acres, of which 2495 are arable, 585 meadow, 507 wood, and the rest common. The surface is hilly towards the eastern boundary, and flat in the opposite direction; the soil is partly clay, but the larger portion of it sand: ironstone abounds. The Wey and Arun canal passes through the parish. In the village is a mill for dressing leather, which affords employment to forty persons. Charles II. granted a market and fair to be kept at Shimley-Green, in the parish; the former has fallen into disuse, and the latter dwindled to a small pleasure-fair held on the 11th of June. The manor-house of Tangley, originally a hunting-box of King John's, was in 1585 converted into a residence for the family of Sir Francis Duncombe. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 1. 3., and in the patronage of Lord Grantley, the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £700, and those of the vicar for £176. 13. The church, with the exception of the tower and north wall, was rebuilt in 1795, and is picturesquely situated in Wonersh Park, his lordship's seat: at the east end of the north aisle is the family vault, in which is interred Judge Chappie, whose daughter married Sir Fletcher Norton, speaker of the house of commons for 12 years, and raised to the peerage in 1782, by the title of Lord Grantley, Baron of Markenfield. There are two places of worship for Independents.

From: Samuel A. Lewis'  A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 649-652. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51423 Date accessed: 14 April 2011.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.