Difference between revisions of "Wiveton with Glandford, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Wiveton St Mary with Glandford is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. See also [[Glandford St Martin, Norfolk]]. Glandford was included, starting 1922.<br>
+
Wiveton St Mary with Glandford is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. See also [[Glandford St Martin, Norfolk]]. Glandford was included, starting 1922.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 14: Line 14:
 
*Fakenham 1939-1974
 
*Fakenham 1939-1974
  
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.<br>Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: registration.fakenham@norfolk.gov.uk<br>
+
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.<br>Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: registration.fakenham@norfolk.gov.uk<br>  
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 20: Line 20:
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch historic records (formerly Record Search)<br>Norfolk Record Office reference PD 648<br>
+
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch historic records (formerly Record Search)<br>Norfolk Record Office reference PD 648<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 26: Line 26:
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438862}}  
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438862}}  
  
+
<br>
  
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Wiveton.htm transcript of 1891 census<br>
+
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Wiveton.htm transcript of 1891 census<br>  
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
Line 36: Line 36:
 
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.<br>Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.  
 
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.<br>Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.  
  
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.<br>RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'. <br>
+
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.<br>RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'. <br>  
  
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]  
+
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]
 +
 
 +
==== Manorial Records ====
 +
 
 +
*Manorial Records of London, Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex.&nbsp;Contains copies and abstracts of various records relating to manors and lands of Sir Henry Calthorpe.&nbsp;Includes the following manors and lands: Stiffkey, Wiveton, Blakeney, etc. FHL British FIlm 1471770 item 28.
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
Line 46: Line 50:
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 53: Line 57:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
History of the church http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Wiveton/history.html<br>
+
History of the church http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Wiveton/history.html<br>  
  
http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/churches/ch_wiveton.htm<br>
+
http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/churches/ch_wiveton.htm<br>  
  
http://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/wiveton.htm Literary Norfolk webiste<br>
+
http://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/wiveton.htm Literary Norfolk webiste<br>  
  
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wiveton/wiveton.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
+
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wiveton/wiveton.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 19:07, 25 June 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk

Parish History

Wiveton St Mary with Glandford is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. See also Glandford St Martin, Norfolk. Glandford was included, starting 1922.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Walsingham 1837-1938
  • Fakenham 1939-1974

The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: registration.fakenham@norfolk.gov.uk

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch historic records (formerly Record Search)
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 648

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Wiveton.htm transcript of 1891 census

Poor Law Unions

For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Walsingham/Walsingham.shtml

Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.

Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Manorial Records

  • Manorial Records of London, Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex. Contains copies and abstracts of various records relating to manors and lands of Sir Henry Calthorpe. Includes the following manors and lands: Stiffkey, Wiveton, Blakeney, etc. FHL British FIlm 1471770 item 28.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

History of the church http://www.northnorfolkcentral.co.uk/GlavenValley/Wiveton/history.html

http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/churches/ch_wiveton.htm

http://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/wiveton.htm Literary Norfolk webiste

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wiveton/wiveton.htm Norfolk Churches website