Witley, Surrey Genealogy
'WITLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, Second division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Godalming; containing 1488 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Godalming to Petworth, and comprises 6324 acres, of which 3150 are arable, 900 pasture, 1100 wood, and 1174 waste. A pleasure-fair is held on the 23rd of April. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Thursley annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 15. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Chandler; impropriators of Witley, J. Leech, Esq., and the Rev. J. Chandler; impropriator of Thursley, J. Knowles, Esq. The great tithes of Witley have been commuted for £13, and the small for £200. The church is a cruciform structure, principally in the early English style, with a central tower surmounted by a spire, and contains monuments to the Chandler and Webb families, and some ancient brasses. A district church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built at Milford in 1836: the living is in the gift of the Brodrick family. There is a place of worship for Calvinists.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 633-636. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51419 Date accessed: 14 April 2011.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Saints, Witley in Parishes Not In A Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Witley in Parishes Not In A Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Witley in Parishes Not In A Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Witley in Parishes Not In A Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch C040651, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batch M040651, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.