Winterborne Came, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Winterborne Came, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Winterborne Came, Dorset|
|Hundred||Culliford-Tree; Frampton Liberty|
|Poor Law Union||Dorchester|
|Parish registers: 1696|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1732|
|Probate Court||Court of the Manor and Liberty of Frampton|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WINTERBORNE-CAME (St. Peter), a parish, with Cripton hamlet, in Dorchester district, Dorset; 1½ mile SE of Dorchester railway station.
WINTERBOURNE-CAME (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, partly in the hundred of Culliford-Tree, and partly within the liberty of Frampton, Dorchester division of Dorset, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Dorchester with the hamlet of Cripton..
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1848. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.