Winston County, Alabama Genealogy
Template:Alabama-stub United States > Alabama > Winston County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Winston County was formed as Hancock County from Walker County on 12 February 1850, renamed Winston County on 22 January 1858. July 4, 1861 Winston county seceded from the state of Alabama becoming the "Free State of Winston".
1891 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Winston County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).