Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy
Winona CountyCounty Courthouse
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1854--Winona County was created 4 April 1854 from Fillmore and Wabasha Counties. County seat: Winona 
- For a brief history of how Winona County was named click here. Then select Winona County.
"The History of Wabasha County" Online history book of early Wabasha and Winona Counties published in 1884.
Altura | Dakota | Elba | Goodwin | La Crescent | Lewiston | Minneiska | Minnesota City | Rollingstone | St. Charles | Stockton | Utica | Winona
Dresbach | Elba | Fremont | Hart | Hillsdale | Homer | Mt. Vernon | New Hartford | Norton | Pleasant Hill | Richmond | Rollingstone | Saratoga | St. Charles | Utica | Warren | Whitewater | Wilson | Wiscoy
Ashton | Enterprise | Grover | Homer | Whitewater Falls
Wikipedia for Winona County
- Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
- 1874 Map of Winona County. Includes landowners, churches, cemeteries. From the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Civil War service men from Winona County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Winona County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies G, I and L.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and D.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company A.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory Locations and contact information for Winona County newspapers.
- Winona Newspaper Project Online newspapers from the historical Winona Argus, the Winona Daily Republican and the Winona Republican Herald newspapers.
Societies and Libraries
- Laird Lucas Memorial Library & Archives Houses the Winona County Historical Society Archives and contains historical books, newspapers, manuscripts, documents and photographs.
- Winona County Historical Society website
Family History Centers
Family History 101 - My Minnesota Genealogy This site has information on Winona Co. and where to find county records.