Williamsburg is an extinct plantation, and extinct town, now an unorganized territory (township) in the Northeast Piscataquis townships in Piscataquis County, Maine. The plantation was created early from Township 6 Eighth Range North of the Waldo Purchase in what was then Hancock County (now Piscataquis County). The town was organized from the plantation of the same name in 1820. Williamsburg set off land to form Barnard in 1834. Williamsburg's town incorporation was surrendered and its status was changed to unorganized territory in 1939.  
County. The land that is now Williamsburg was set off as part of Hancock County in 1789; then set off to Penobscot County in 1816; and then set off to Piscataquis County in 1838.
- ↑ Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 194 (digital p. 203). A digital version is available via a link in the FHL Catalog.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Williamsburg Township, Piscataquis County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 4 June 2013).
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 154. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.