Wilkes County, Georgia Genealogy
Adopted by GAGenWeb Wilkes County Christina Palmer
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1777-Wilkes County was created 5 February 1777 from Creek and Cherokee Indian Lands as an original county.
County seat: Washington 
1958 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- [Huskey] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273R22b 1978. [The Huskey family is discussed in Vol. 1.]
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Wilkes County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wilkes County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Wilkes County Georgia Genealogy
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).