Difference between revisions of "Whitman County, Washington Genealogy"
|Line 157:||Line 157:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 01:44, 24 July 2013
Guide to Whitman County Washington genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Whitman County, Washington|
Location in the state of Washington
Location of Washington in the U.S.
|Founded||November 29, 1871|
|Address|| Whitman County Courthouse|
N 404 Main Street Box 390;
Colfax, WA 99111-2031
Whitman County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 Whitman County Washington Genealogy References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 29 November 1871 from Stevens
- County Seat: Colfax 
- Neighboring Counties: Adams | Asotin | Columbia | Garfield | Franklin | Lincoln | Spokane | Walla Walla | Idaho counties: Benewah | Latah | Nez Perce
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Whitman County, Washington Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Whitman County, Washington Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Eaton Cemetery (Rock Lake Cemetery)
Eden Valley Cemetery
Ewartsville Cemetery (Lone Pine Cemetery)
Goldenrod Cemetery, Tekoa
Holy Rosary Cemetery
Lone Pine Cemetery
Mountain View Cemetery (Endicott)
Mountain View Cemetery (Farmington)
Myers Family Cemetery
Old German Methodist Cemetery
Pine City Cemetery
Pullman I.O.O.F. Cemetery
Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery
Saint Boniface Cemetery
Saint John Cemetery
Sheahan Cemetery (Old Thornton)
Silver Creek Cemetery
Uniontown Community Cemetery
Zion Lutheran Cemetery
- 1890 Veterans
The information church records provide depends upon the church practices and the record keepers. Records may include names, ages, and dates of events such as baptism, marriage, or burial. See Washington Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
World War II Files, 1942-1946
Public Welfare/Social Security Department, (Japanese Internment) Assistance Cases, Evacuee Referrals for Resettlement and Assistance, 1945-1946 from the Washington State Archives – Digital Archives
Local histories for Whitman County, Washington Genealogy may include biographies, history of churches, schools, local government with names of officials, military information, and more. See Washington Local Histories. Washington State University is located in Pullman.
Land and Property
|Yes or Maybe ⇒||Y||M|
|Land Description and Dates||]]|
Land records (especially deeds) may give the name of a spouse, heirs, and witnesses, who may be relatives or in-laws.
- Family Maps of Whitman County, Washington (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Finding More Washington Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Whitman County, Washington Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records identify heirs of the decedents, give the (approximate) death dates, and provide specifics about property holdings. The records were kept by the county judge.
These include wills, inheritance records, dockets, and other documents regarding property and estates of individuals who have died. See also Court Records for civil actions involving estates. Also see Washington Probate Records.
Whitman County Courthouse
N 404 Main Street Box 390
Colfax, WA 99111-2031
County Clerk has marriage records 1872-1891, probate records from 1870, divorce and court records from 1864, and naturalization records 1862-1942.
County Auditor has birth and death records 1891-1907 and land records.
Family History Centers
Washington tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Washington Taxation.
See also How to order Washington Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail. See Washington Vital Records for details and history of the records. .
- Washington State Digital Archives has a database of Whitman County Birth Records. This database contains the names and birth records of people who were born in Whitman County from 1890 to 1907.
- Births from Whitman County Jan. 1875 to Aug 1907.
- 102 marriage entries from 23 Oct 1872 to 13 Dec 1909 are available at the Western States Marriage Index website.
- Washington State Digital Archives has a database of Whitman County Death Returns containing names of people who died in Whitman County from 1891-1907. For FHL entries, click here
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Whitman County, Washington Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Albion - 615
Colfax - 2,950 (County Seat)
Colton - 380
Endicott - 355
Farmington - 150
Garfield - 550
La Crosse - 380
Lamont - 100
Palouse - 1,050
Pullman - 28,500 (Largest City)
Rosalia - 715
St. John - 525
Tekoa - 895
Uniontown - 315
Whitman County Washington Genealogy References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lemper, Margaret, Births from Whitman County, Washington, Lewiston, Idaho, Ilo Register, 1979