Open main menu

Whitford, Flintshire, Wales Genealogy

Whitford (Welsh: Chwitffordd) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in Flintshire, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Flintshire.

HistoryEdit

"WHITFORD, a parish in the Holywell division of the hundred of Coleshill county of Flint, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Holywell, containing 3333 inhabitants. This parish rises for the most part gradually form the shore of the wide aestuary of the Dee, by which it is bounded on the east nad north-east, into hills of considerable elevation; it comprises an extent of nearly eight thousand acres of land." (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis)

For more information on Whitford see:

AdministrationEdit

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Flintshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Flintshire

RecordsEdit

Civil RegistrationEdit

Church RecordsEdit

Census RecordsEdit

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Probate RecordsEdit

Poor Law Union RecordsEdit

Maps and GazetteersEdit

WebsitesEdit