Whitechapel St Mary, Middlesex Genealogy
'St Mary Whitechapel , the church of, stands at the eastern end of Whitechapel High Street, at the south side of the beginning of the Whitechapel, or Mile-End Road. This church is of some antiquity, as appears from Hugh de Fulbourn, being its rector in 1329. It was originally a chapel of ease to the parish of Stepney, and is supposed to have received its epithet white, from the colour of its walls. The ancient name of this church was St Mary Matfel, which signifies a woman recently delivered of a son, alluding to the birth of Christ, to whose mother it is dedicated. The old church becoming very ruinous, it was taken down in 1673, and rebuilt as at present [~1830]. This church was anciently a rectory, in the gift of the rector of Stepney, in whose successors the patronage continued till 1711, when it was purchased by the principal and scholars of Brosenose College, Oxford. It is a rectory, in the diocese of London, and exempt from archidiaconal jurisdiction.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- 1606-1625 - Pruyn, John V.L. "Weddings at St. Mary, Whitechapel, London, from A.D. 1606 to 1625," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 1606-1608: Vol. 19, No. 3 (Jul. 1888):103-109; 1608-1610: Vol. 20, No. 3 (Jul. 1889):132-138; 1610-1614: Vol. 20, No. 4 (Oct. 1889):181-189; 1614-1616: Vol. 21, No. 2 (Apr. 1890):87-90; 1616-1617: Vol. 22, No. 1 (Jan. 1891):52-56; 1617-1621: Vol. 22, No. 2 (Apr. 1891):75-77; 1621-1622: Vol. 22, No. 4 (Oct. 1891):204-207; 1622-1624: Vol. 23, No. 1 (Jan. 1892):42-47; 1625: Vol. 24, No. 1 (Jan. 1893):37-38. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 19-24. Internet Archive has digitized Vol. 19, Vol. 20, Vol. 21, Vol. 22, Vol. 23, and Vol. 24 - free.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- GENUKI: Middlesex, Whitechapel
- Sketch of Whitechapel St Mary Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary, Whitechapel in Tower Hamlet Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Whitechapel St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Whitechapel St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Whitechapel St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C006291, C006292, C006293, C006294, C006295, C006296, C006297, C006298, C006299, C005301, C005501, C005541, C005571, C005572, C005573, C005574, C005575, C005576, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 March 2012. Indexes parish register xx.
- WeRelate contributors, "Source:New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society)," in WeRelate, http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Source:New_York_Genealogical_and_Biographical_Record_%28New_York_Genealogical_and_Biographical_Society%29, accessed 17 February 2012.