White Colne, Essex Genealogy
White Colne or Colne-White (St Andrew formerly All Saints), is a parish in Halstead district, Essex; it is on the river Colne and on the Colne-Valley railway, ½ of a mile E of Colne railway station, and 4½ miles ESE of Halstead. The post town is, Colne-Wakes, under Halstead. There is a Baptist chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Courts, probably with view of frankpledge, were being held for Berwick Hall manor by c. 1500. Seventeenth century courts elected a constable and presumably tasters of bread and of ale. They dealt with the usual range of minor offences, amercing tenants for encroaching on the waste, taking in lodgers, and failing to scour ditches; a man was presented c. 1656 for allowing mangy horses to pasture on the common. Courts leet ceased c. 1735. Courts baron continued, their business confined to recording transfers of copyhold, until 1868 or later.
Inglesthorpe and Bart Hall manors had no courts c. 1730, nor is there any earlier record of such courts.
No records of vestry government survive from before 1836. In the mid and later 19th century the vestry met in the church vestry or at the King's Head and was usually chaired by one of the churchwardens. Attendance was often poor; in 1859 and 1863 no parishioners attended the Easter meeting. A salaried surveyor was appointed in 1837 and a salaried assistant overseer in 1842.
Expenditure on the poor between 1776 and 1834, although usually lower than average for the hundred, was comparatively high per head of population. Total expenditure was £77 in 1776 and, unusually, fell between 1783 and 1785 to an average of £74. By 1803 expenditure per head, £1 12s. 11d., was one of the highest in the hundred. Expenditure fell from £342 or £1 9s. 4d. a head in 1813 to £218 in 1815 and 1816, then rose to £452 or £1 10s. 4d. a head in 1818. It remained between £350 and £450 a year for much of the 1820s, but rose to £567 or £1 9s. 6d. a head, one of the highest per capita expenditures in the hundred, in 1830, and remained high until 1834.
The presumably unendowed 'almshouses', two in the former glebe house and one at Wenthouses, recorded in the earlier 18th century were probably used as pauper housing. One may have become the workhouse which was in use in 1803 but disused by 1813. The town house which the vestry sold in 1840 may have been the house at Wenthouses.
From: 'White Colne: Local government', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 135-136. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15204&strquery=white colne Date accessed: 17 February 2011.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1. Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London & Edinburgh: 1870 See at: http//www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.