Wetaskiwin Alberta Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
There is no cost to visit the Wetaskiwin Family History Center or to use the computers, equipment or free premium websites. It is open to anyone with an interest in genealogical research. Whether you are just beginning or are
looking for a specific piece of information, please come by and let us help you with your family history!
(Please bring a USB stick if you want to copy vital information for your personal use.)
Our Centre is Fragrance Free! We have some staff and patrons who are very allergic. Please be considerate!
- 1 Center Information
- 2 OPEN HOURS:
- 3 Calendar and Events
- 4 CLASS/WEBINAR SCHEDULE
- 5 CENTRE RESOURCES
Location & Map:
- 5410 36 Avenue
- Wetaskiwin, Alberta T9A 2R6
- (Link to map using Google )
- 1-780-352-3866 (during open hours)
- Outside of open hours, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 (leave message)
- Wednesday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Wednesday: 6:15pm - 8:15pm
- Parking for the center for daytime hours is on the street at the front of the building - south side. Please use the center/main front door and knock loudly or ring buzzer or call 780-352-3866 during open hours. For evening hours, parking is also in the parking lot on the north side of the building.
- For appointments outside of our regular hours, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 (leave messge) or email email@example.com
2018 Holiday/Closure Schedule:
- ***Closed Halloween October 31 (night only). We are still open 10:00am-3:00pm.***
- June 28 to September 4 - By appointment only - please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 (leave message) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closed Halloween October 31 (night only). We are still open 10:00am-3:00pm.
- December 20 to January 8 (2019)
Calendar and Events
- We are happy to give you a tour anytime! We have a computer/research room and rooms for microfilm viewing, webinars, a children's activity center and classroom.
Please be FRAGRANCE FREE! Staff and patrons have severe allergies.
Webinars run at 10:00am, 11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 6:35pm.
Class times are as indicated.
- Oct 3 - Webinar: If I'd Only Known! Beginner Genealogy Mistakes - by Beth Foulk (52 min)
- In this lesson, you will learn about common mistakes beginners make with genealogy.
- Oct 10 - CLASS @ 6:30pm: RootsMagic - Part 1
- Join us as we learn more tips about the award-winning genealogy software, which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy! Whether you're a beginner or an experienced professional, RootsMagic is the perfect tool for you!
- Oct 17 - Webinar: Ready for Temple Work? Top Tips for Checking Names in FamilySearch -by Kathryn Grant (73 min)
- Kathryn Grant shows us why it’s important to check names in Family Search before requesting temple ordinances, what information to check, and how to check it.
- Oct 24 - CLASS @ 6:30pm: RootsMagic - Part 2
- Join us as we learn more tips about the award-winning genealogy software. We will be covering color coding and how to use groups.
- Oct 31 - Webinar: From Snarky to Civil: Improving the Genealogy Community -by Kathryn Grant (40 min)
- Kathryn Grant gives her opinion as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints of how to increase civility in the genealogy community.
- Nov 7 - CLASS @ 6:30pm: The Gifts of Family History ~Presenter: Amanda
- It's time to start thinking about Christmas! On November 7 join us at the family history centre as we share creative ways to include family history gifts at Christmas.
- Nov 14 - Webinar: Using Multiple Online Genealogy Programs to Find Your Ancestors
- James Tanner shows us how to broaden our research skills using multiple genealogy programs.
- Nov 21 - CLASS @ 6:30pm: RootsMagic - Part 3
- These classes stand alone, so you don't need to have come to the other parts in order to learn from this one. Description coming soon...
- Nov 28 - Webinar: English Research: How Can the 1939 Register Help You?
- Kathryn shows us how to use the 1939 English Register in our English research. Also applies to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
COME & JOIN THE LEARNING!
If you have any requests for topics for webinars, please call Lisa at 780-352-7881 or email email@example.com
If you have any requests for topics for classes, please call Patty at 780-387-6759 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- We have a number of microfilms on long term loan that can be viewed if the person that ordered them is not using them.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives FREE access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. (See Premium websites available in the Family History Center Services Portal ) e.g. Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage, etc.
- Current list as of November 2018:
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
- American Ancestors
- Ancestry - Institution Versions
- Findmypast - Institution Version
- Kinpoint - Premium
- MyHeritage - Library Edition
- Newspaper Archive
- Paper Trail
- Puzzilla - Premium Services
- Current list as of November 2018:
- All our computers access the free FamilySearch database which contains many millions of names linked into families.
Hardware and Equipment
- 6 computers (5 with free access to the premium subscription-based websites) (Please bring a USB stick so you can copy vital information for your personal use.)
- 1 printer / scanner / copier
- 1 microfilm reader
- 1 microfiche reader
- Patrons may also use their own laptops/devices on our Wi-Fi network for personal use.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Wetaskiwin Branch, AGS (Alberta Genealogical Society) - http://www.abgenealogy.ca/wetaskiwin-branch
- City of Wetaskiwin Archives - https://www.wetaskiwin.ca/Index.aspx?NID=107
- Alberta Emigration and Immigration
- Alberta Churches, Archives, and Societies (National Institute)
- Alberta Vital Records (National Institute)
- Alberta, Canada Genealogy
- Alberta Probate Records
- Alberta Societies
- Alberta Museums, Libraries, and Archives (National Institute)
- Alberta Funeral Homes