Wells St Thomas
WELLS St Thomas was created a chapel of ease to the ancient parish (The Cathedral) of St Andrew the Apostle, in the city (registers begin in 1858).
The city by 1870 was not only comprised of the Cathedral St Andrew, but also the in-parish of St. Cuthbert (registers commence from 1609), which surrounds the cathedral precincts, St Thomas Chapel, created and built by 1858 and the three district chapelries of (East) Horrington (registers begin in 1845), Coxley (registers begin in 1845), and Easton (registers begin in 1848).
In the town are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Online Parish Clerks
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
- Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Date accessed: 11 April 2013.