Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Webster County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. Located in the Western Coal Fields region.
|Webster County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 29, 1860|
- 1 Webster County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Webster County Kentucky History
- 3 Webster County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Webster County Kentucky Genealogy References
Webster County Kentucky Courthouse
Webster County Kentucky History
Webster County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Derby||Jolly||Rock Spring||West Wheatcroft|
Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US)
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Webster County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Webster Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Webster County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Webster County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- USGS GNIS search results for Webster County, Kentucky cemeteries
- Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Webster County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- USGS GNIS search results for Webster County, Kentucky
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Proctor] "Notes on a Proctor Family of Northeastern Rutherford Co., N.C.," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 38, No. 3 (August 2010):102-110. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 38
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Archives of Appalachia ~ Preserving the history of the people of Appalachia.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Companies A and C.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Diamond's) (Confederate). Companies A and C.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Johnson's) (Confederate). Companies A and C.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1860-1916 - Will Books 1 to 2 (1860-1916) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records..
- 1874-1875 - Webster County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C518171 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Webster County Birth Index 1875. Batch C518172 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Webster County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M518173 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1877 - Webster County Marriage Index 1876-1877. Batch M518174 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
The primary branch of the Webster County library is located in Dixon, Kentucky, and maintains a genealogy section including local histories, many local newspapers on microfilm, and microfilmed copies of county vital records.
A satellite library branch exists in Providence, Kentucky, and maintains a smaller genealogy section, mostly focusing on historical photographs.
Family History Centers
Webster County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Webster County, Kentucky wikipedia page
- Webster County, Kentucky 1999 Highway Map
- Webster County Kentucky USGenWeb Project page
- Family History Library Catalog
Webster County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Webster County, Kentucky page 275, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.