Weaverham, Cheshire Genealogy
Weaverham St Mary is an Ancient Parish and included Milton, Onston, Sandiway, Wallerscoat, Wallerscote, Weaverham Lordship, Acton, Crowton, Cuddington, and Gorstage.
A church was present on the site at the time of the Norman conquest. Edward I gave the advowson of the vicarage to Vale Royal Abbey. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, this was given by Henry VIII to the Bishop of Chester. The west tower dates from the middle of the 15th century and the rest of the church from the 16th century. Restorations were carried out in 1855 by Anthony Salvin and in 1877 by John Douglas when the porch and vestry were added.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Northwich (1837–1967)
- Cheshire West
Registration events can be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for Weaverham, 1576-1925 Cheshire Record Office call number: P35/5228/1-17
|Parish Registers Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1576-1618. Baptisms, marriages, 1697-1799. Births and burials, 1678-1759|| BRITISH |
|Baptisms, 1800-1905. Marriages, 1754-1788.|| VAULT BRITISH |
|Marriages, 1788-1916. Burials, 1759-1846.|| BRITISH |
|Burials, 1846-1925|| VAULT BRITISH |
1999983 Item 1
Bishop's transcripts for Weaverham, 1579-1925 Records are not in strict chronological order. Some intermittent years are missing. Cheshire Record Office Call number: ECC/212
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1579, 1610-1615, 1617-1618, 1621-1630, 1639, 1658-1660, 1663-1676, 1678-1686, 1690-1704, 1706-1823.Baptisms, 1824.|| BRITISH |
1736164 Item 2
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1824-1828|| BRITISH |
1850240 Item 1
|Burials, 1828. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1829-1837. Baptisms, burials, 1838-1878, 1891-1912.|| BRITISH |
|Burials, 1912, baptisms, burials, 1913-1925.|| BRITISH |
1736166 Item 1
Acton Bridge, Methodist Chapel, Forest Road (Wesleyan). Built ca.1834, rebuilt in 1878.
Chester Record Office call number EMS 310 Collection Acton (Weaverham) Methodist Chapel 1898-1972 The chapel was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in Forest Road in 1878 next to an earlier chapel erected in c.1834. The first chapel was used by the Sunday School until new premises were built adjoining the new chapel in 1903.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 345–348
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, pp. 78–79, ISBN 1871731232
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 377–378, ISBN 0 300 09588 0