Wayne County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Wayne County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Wayne County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||January 18, 1842|
|Address|| Wayne County Courthouse|
700 Hendricks Street
Wayne, WV 25570
Wayne County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
Marriage records from 1854
Probate and Land Records
See an interactive map of Wayne County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Boyd County, Kentucky
- Lawrence County, Kentucky
- Lawrence County, Ohio
- Martin County, Kentucky
- Bloss Cemetery, Lavalette
- Old Crescent Hill Cemetery, Ceredo
- Mays Cemetery, Lavalette
- Queen's Ridge Cemetery
- Strother Cemetery, Hubbardstown
- Find a Grave Wayne County, West Virginia
- Morris Funeral Home
For tips on accessing Wayne County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Wayne County, Transactions West Virginia Deeds
West Virginia Archives
A Brief History of Buffalo Creek Community, Wayne County ,West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: B78.
Comstock, Jim. Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, Jim Comstock, 1973.
975.4003 H259 v.7.
Darby, Erasmus Foster. App Queen Day: Being an Eyewitness Account of How This Great Schoolmaster is Honored Each Year in Wayne County, West Virginia. Chillicothe, Ohio, Dave Webb, 1955.
398.22 D24a Pam.
_________________. Spot the Great Red Nosed Hound of Sugar Tree Hollow. Chillicothe, Ohio, Dave Webb, 1954. 636.7 D34s Pam.
Kirby, Wesley D. History of Wayne Community Wayne County West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1926. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: K5.
McClintic, Elizabeth Knight. Ceredo: An Experiment in Colonization. s. l., n. p., 1937. 917.5447 M126.
Osborn, Lucian W. History of East Lynn Community Wayne County West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1927. (On-line version)Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: O8.
A Pictorial History of Wayne County. Kenova, West Virginia, Wayne County Historical Publications Inc., 1988. 975.447 W359p.
Taylor, Mildred. History of Wayne County, West Virginia. Wayne, West Virginia, n. p., 1963. 975.447 T244.
Thomas C. W.History of Ceredo and Kenova. s. l., n. p., @1958. 975.447 T482 Pam.
Varney, Carl E. Birch Bark and Sassafras Tea. Crum, West Virginia, @1976. 917.5447 V318.
Williams, John Alexander. "A Note and Documents on the Wayne County Shooting Incident During the Election Campaign of 1894." West Virginia History, Charleston, West Virginia, Department of Archives and History, 1971-72. Arc 1. 4:33.
Regiments. Service men in Wayne County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Wayne County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Companies A, C, and G.
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Light Artillery, Battery B Light Artillery
- - 2nd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company H.
- - 4th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company G.
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company K (Fairview Rifle Guards aka Sandy Rangers).
- - 16th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies E, G, and H.
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company A (Witcher's Company Virginia Mounted Rifles).
- - 45th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (K).
Records and histories are available, including:
- Wayne County, West Virginia Civil War
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 8th Virginia Calvary
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Wayne County, West Virginia Will Books 1843 - 1968
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1854-1862, 1865-1970 - free.
- 1853-1863 - Virginia Marriages 1853-1863 (Ancestry) ($).
Societies and Libraries
Cabell - Wayne County Historical Society PO Box 9412 Huntinton, WV 25704
KYOWVA Genealogical Society P O Box 1254 Huntington, WV 25715
Kentucky Ohio West Virginia Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Huntington West Virginia Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Wayne County, West Virginia Biographies
- Web Sites
- Wayne County, West Virginia Communities
- Wayne County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wayne County, West Virginia. Page 746 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Anthony Wayne," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- Jack L. Dickinson, 16th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 60.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.
- Jeffrey C. Weaver, 45th Battalion Virginia Infantry, Smith and Count's Battalions of Partisan Rangers (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 102.