Wayne County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Wayne County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Wayne County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Land
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Newspapers
- 4.10 Probate
- 4.11 Taxation
- 4.12 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Wayne County Courthouse
215 S William Street
P O Box 267
Goldsboro, NC 27530-4824
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records
Clerk Superior Courth has divoce, probate and court records
1779--Wayne County was created from Dobbs County. Dobbs County was abolished in 1791.
County seat: Goldsboro 
Some of the early records are missing.
For tips on accessing Wayne County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Black Creek. Established by 1783.
- Falling Creek. Constituted 1778.
- Naughunty. Constituted 1791.
- Norhunty Swamp. Constituted 1789.
- Pleasant Plains. Established by 1808.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Mount Olive
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battles were fought in Wayne County.
- March 23-April 26, 1862 = Goldsborough Bridge
- December 16, 1862 = White Hall, also known as Whitehall or White Hall Ferry
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Wayne County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1773-1957 - Will Books A to Z and 1 to 14 (1773-1957) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Wayne County Vital Records includes a number of birth, marriage, and death records collections. It is free.
- 1867-1936 - Wayne County Marriage Index 1867-1936 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wayne County, North Carolina. Page 514 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Anthony Wayne," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:490-491; 2:569. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.