Waverton, Cheshire Genealogy
Waverton, St Peter is an Ancient Parish in Cheshire and includes Hatton, Huxley, and Hatton near Tarporley.
The earliest documentary evidence of a place of worship on the site is in a charter of confirmation dated 1093. Later references are in a will dated 1599 and in documents relating to the building of a north chapel in 1640 by John Tilston of Lower Huxley Hall. In the 19th century restorations of the body of the church took place, one in 1845 and another in 1888 by John Douglas when the clerestory was rebuilt. The pyramidal roof was added to the tower in the late 19th century.
The settlement was named Wavretone in the Domesday Book, where it was said to be in the Dudestan Hundred. The name was first given as Waverton in 1260, having been called Waueretone in 1150, and Wauertone in 1100. The origin of the name is not certain.
Waverton is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies about 5 km south east of Chester. It is almost continuous with the village of Rowton to the north west and that in turn is almost, but not quite, continuous with Christleton.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998)
Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers of Waverton, 1562-1966 Cheshire Record Office call number: P282/4554/1-9, 23, 25.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms 1562-1863. Marriages 1562-1836. Burials 1562-1966.|| BRITISH |
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1582-1837. Baptisms and burials, 1838-1863. Marriage banns, 1845-1960. Burials, 1864-1876.|| BRITISH |
2106221 Items 2 - 10
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1798-1799. Marriage licences, 1883, 1886, 1933. Monumental inscriptions, 1629-1901 (transcript).|| BRITISH |
2106221 Items 12 - 14
|Marriages, 1754-1812.|| BRITISH |
2197774 Item 9
Bishop's transcripts for Waverton, 1599-1889 Records are not in strict chronological order. Some intermittent years are missing. Cheshire Record Office number: ECC/211
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1599-1602, 1605-1606, 1608-1618, 1622-1624, 1627-1633, 1639-1641, 1666, 1669-1686, 1690-1751, 1754-1764, 1766-1804, 1806-1811.|| BRITISH |
1551110 Item 2
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1812-1830, 1889. Marriages, 1811. Baptisms, burials, 1831-1839, 1845-1860, 1863-1888.|| BRITISH |
1736164 Item 1
- Waverton, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Waverton, Presbyterian Chapel.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–71)
- Tarvin (1871–1930). Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 342–344
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, pp. 78–79, ISBN 1871731232