Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Washington Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1819|
|Address|| Corner of Washington and Main Street|
Franklinton, LA 70438
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
- 1819--Washington Parish was created 6 March 1819 from St. Tammany Parish.
Parish seat: Franklinton 
See an interactive map of Washington Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Marion County, Mississippi
- Pearl River County, Mississippi
- Pike County, Mississippi
- St. Tammany
- Walthall County, Mississippi
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Cemeteries of Washington Parish - LAGenWeb
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by parish
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|Washington Parish Census Data|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Photos of Families, Buildings, Catalogs, etc. - LAGenWeb
Franklin Centennial (1861-1961) Scrapbook - LAGenWeb
Washington Parish Fair - LAGenWeb
Washington Parish Free Fair Catalogs - LAGenWeb
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Washington Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content
- United States Census Bureau. "Washington Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22117.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.