Washington County, Indiana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Washington County Courthouse
99 Public Square
Salem, IN 47167
County Health Department birth and death from 1882.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, probate and court records from 1814
and newspapers from 1891.
County recorder has land records.
County Historical Society has many family records. 
For more about the city of Salem, see the Wikipedia article Salem, Indiana
Crown Hill Cemetery in Salem, Indiana is the largest cemetery in the county. Dating back to 1824, the cemetery has several thousand grave sites. The cemetery has an online database of burials on its web page at Crown Hill Cemetery.
- Blue River Church Cemetery, Salem
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Borden
- Old Hebron Cemetery, Salem
- Peugh Cemetery, Salem
- Poor Farm Cemetery, Salem
- Winslow Cemetery, Salem
For tips on accessing Washington County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Washington County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Businesses in Washington County, Indiana (1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Biographical and Historical Souvenir for the Counties of Clark, Crawford, Harrison, Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott and Washington, Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, 1972.) FHL US/CAN Film 934899 Item 4 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.) 977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Civil War service men from Washington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Washington County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company E
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company B
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 22nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 50th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 66th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, B, F, H, and K
- 81st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 112th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company G
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 144th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, B, C, and F
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
Civil War Books
- "Military History" Chapter 7 in History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.), (page 793-815, Regiment, Companies), 977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Students and Teachers of Salem High School (1926) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
The Stevens Memorial Museum and Genealogy Library, 307 East Market Street, Salem, Indiana, 812-883-6495, is also home to the Washington County Historical Society (WCHS).
WCHS publishes a newsletter that contains events, news articles, and books and other items for sale by the library. The library and museum are open 9AM to 5PM daily, except for Sunday, Monday, and holidays.
The name has recently changed to The John Hay Center which encompasses the entire organization including the Stevens Memorial Museum, the Pioneer Village, John Hay Birthplace, and the Depot Railroad Museum. The web site is www.johnhaycenter.org.
Stevens Museum has cemetery records books, histories, marriage and divorce records, and miscellaneous materials such as 1800-1902 Abstract of Wills, 1882-1999 Death Records and others.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb Project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for Washington county at this link.
- Family History Library Catalog
- John Hay Center and Washington County Historical Society,
- City of Salem, Indiana
- Washington County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Indiana 217 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).