Washington Archives and Libraries
The archives and libraries listed below offer services or have major collections of genealogical and historical records relating to Washington.
- Washington State Archives
1120 Washington Street S.E.
Olympia, WA 98504-0238
P.O. Box 40238
Olympia, WA 98504-0238
- Washington State Digital Archives
The nation's first archives dedicated to the preservation of electronic records from both State and Local agencies that have permanent historical value. The web site was designed to provide simple, straight forward access to researchers.
- National Archives—Pacific and Alaska Region (Seattle)
6125 Sand Point Way, N.E.
Seattle, WA 98115-7999
- Washington State Historical Society Library
315 North Stadium Way
Tacoma, WA 98402
- Washington State Library
P.O. Box 42460
Olympia, WA 98504-2460
- Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
- Suzzallo-Allen Library
University of Washington
P.O. Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
A helpful catalog for this library is:
University of Washington (Seattle) Library, The Dictionary Catalog of the Pacific Northwest Collection of the University of Washington (Seattle) Libraries. Six Volumes. (Boston, Massachusetts: G.K. Hall and Co., 1972.) At various libraries (WorldCat); Family History Library book Q 979.7 A3w
Washington Digital Collections
has statewide online database links which may include vital records, biographies, cemeteries, censuses, histories, immigration records, land records, maps, military records, naturalizations, newspapers, obituaries, or probate records.
Two important guides to Washington records are:
- Genealogical Resources in Washington State: A Guide to Genealogical Records Held at Repositories, Government Agencies and Archives. Olympia, (Washington: Secretary of State, Division of Archives and Records Management, 1983.) at various libraries (WorldCat); Family History Library book 979.7 A3g
- Historical Records of Washington State: Records and Papers Held at Repositories. Olympia, Washington: Washington State Historical Records Advisory Board, 1981. At various libraries (WorldCat); (Family History Library book 979.7 A3hi; fiche 6051177
- To learn more about the history and record-keeping systems of Washington counties use the 15 inventories of the county archives produced by the Historical Records Survey around 1940. Copies of these inventories are at the Family History Library. To access these records, use the Place-names Search in the FHL catalog for:
- WASHINGTON, [COUNTY] - Archives and Libraries