Difference between revisions of "Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy"
(CW Data from Excel)
(Standardized presentation of companies)
|Line 266:||Line 266:|
===== Civil War =====
===== Civil War =====
:- [[Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry ()|Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], Company E
:- [[Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry ()|Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], Company
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], Company B
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry]], Company B
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry]], Company H
:- [[3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], Company I
:- [[4th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|4th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], A, B, , ,
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
:- [[Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], Company
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry
:- [[Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry]], , , , , , , I
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry
:- [[Regiment, Kentucky ()|Regiment, Kentucky ]],
:- [[3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
:- [[4th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|4th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
==== Miscellaneous ====
==== Miscellaneous ====
Revision as of 02:11, 9 October 2013
Guide to Warren County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1796|
|County Seat||Bowling Green|
- 1 Warren County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Warren County Kentucky History
- 3 Warren County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Warren County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Warren County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Warren County kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Warren County Kentucky Genealogy References
Warren County Kentucky Courthouse
Warren County Kentucky History
1864--A disaster destroyed most of the records.
Warren County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Alvaton||Girkin||Lost River||Rich Pond|
|Blue Level||Greenhill||Memphis Junction||Rockland|
|Bowling Green||Greenwood||Motley||Sand Hill|
|Boyce||Guy||Mount Victor||Smiths Grove|
|Crestmoor||Hydro||Plum Springs||Three Springs|
Warren County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US)
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Warren County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Warren Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Warren County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Warren County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Warren County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Long] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [Moss] Moss, T.C. The David Moss Family: Green, Adair, Boyle, Barren, Hart, and Warren Co., Ky.; Williamson and Maury Co., Tenn.; Mississippi. Memphis, Tenn.: T.C. Moss, 1968. FHL Book 929.273 M855mo
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Bowling Green and Warren County Immigration Society. Bowling Green and Warren County, Ky., Immigration Society: A Condensed, Accurate, and Fair Description of the Resources and Development of the City and County. Bowling Green, Ky.: Park City Daily Times Print, 1885. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- Archives of Appalachia ~ Preserving the history of the people of Appalachia.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Company B.
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Company B.
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry, Company H.
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Company I.
- - 4th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D, F and G.
- - 8th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Company I
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Companies A, B, E, F, G, H, I, K, L and M.
- - 26th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Companies F and H.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1799-1927 - Will Books (1799-1927) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800-1801 - 1800-1801 Tax Lists of Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records..
- 1852-1860 - Warren County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C518041 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Warren County Birth Index 1874. Batch C518042 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Warren County Birth Index 1875. Batch C518043 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1862 - Warren County Marriage Index 1852-1862. Batch M518041 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Warren County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M518044 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Warren County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Warren County kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Warren County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Warren County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Warren County, Kentucky page 275, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.