Warren County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to Warren County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 19, 1827|
|Address|| Warren County Courthouse|
125 N Monroe Street
Williamsport, IN 47993
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Warren County, Indiana Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Business Records
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census Records
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogies
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military Records
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Occupations
- 2.21 Periodicals
- 2.22 Probate Records
- 2.23 Public Records
- 2.24 Repositories
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Taxation
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 2.28 Voting Registration
- 3 Warren County, Indiana Web Sites
- 4 References
January 20, 1907 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Warren County, Indiana Resources
For tips on accessing Warren County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Early Settlers of Warren County ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Warren County, Indiana (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Directory of Businesses in Warren County, Indiana (1868) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Every Name Index to Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2008; original text by F. A. Battey Co., 1883; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1972.
- History of Warren County Linkpendium
- F.A. Battey Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p.: ill., ports. 28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published: Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1883.) FHL CollectionFamilySearch Books Online
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Warren County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps and Gazetteers Linkpendium
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Warren County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County.
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company C
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company K
- 33rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 72nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F, and I
- 86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and E
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 116th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company H
- 135th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company B
- 150th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F, G, and H
- 154th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, E, and G
Civil War Book
- "Military History" in F.A. Battey Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p.: ill., ports. 28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published: Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1883.) Page 115-137,FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Collection other library Internet Archive
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
Warren County Courthouse
125 N Monroe Street
Williamsport, IN 47993
County Clerk has marriage and divorce records from 1827,
probate records from 1829 and court records from 1828.
County Recorder has land records from 1827.
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1882. 
Family History Centers
- Directory of Teachers for Warren County (1936) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Warren County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Warren County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Warren County, Indiana 217 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.