Waldo County, Maine Genealogy
Guide to Waldo County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Waldo County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||February 7, 1827|
|Address|| Waldo County Courthouse|
73 Church Street
Belfast, ME 04915-1705
Waldo County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has marriage records 1828-1887, divorce and court records from 1828.
City or Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
Places / Localities
- East Thorndike
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Maine denominations, view the Maine Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Maine Land and Property for additional information about early Maine land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Maine tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Waldo County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Waldo County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Waldo County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Waldo County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Waldo County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Before an extinct town was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 117. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.