Wake County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Wake County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Wake County Courthouse
St Garland James Bldg
300 S Salisbury P O box 1897
Raleigh, NC 27602
1810 & 1820 Census Records are missing.
Registrar of Deeds has marriage and land records.
Clerk of Superior Court has probate records.
Raleigh, History and the Present - NCpedia, site from the North Carolina State Library
Atlas of Historical Boundary Changes - view the boundary changes in NC from 1665 to present day.
1832--Several deed books were destroyed in register's office fire.
Unincorporated Communities: Auburn, Bonsal, Carpenter, Chestnut Hills, Clegg, Eagle Rock, Falls, Feltonville, Forestville, Green Level, Kennebec, Lizard Lick, McCullers, Crossroads, Neuse, New Hill, Riley Hill, Shotwell, Stony Hill, Swift Creek,
- [Stacy] Marvin Hendrix Stacy, 1877-1919 (1919) - a UNC administrator; full-text via the Internet Archive
- Raleigh City Cemetery listings
- NCGenWeb Wake County Archives - A-L, M-Z cemeteries
- Find-A-Grave - Wake County cemeteries
- Interment.net - Wake County cemeteries
- FHL Microfilm - Pre-1914 Cemetery Inscriptions, Wake County. FHL Microfilm 882940 Item 9
- Manuscript: Confederate deaths and burials in North Carolina. [Find in a Library]
- Historic Oakwood Cemetery - in Raleigh, NC
- Hill Crest Cemetery, Cary BillionGraves, photos of headstones, searchable database of those on the headstones.
- Macedonia Cemetery, Raleigh BillionGraves
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
For tips on accessing Wake County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Census records - via Wake County NCGenWeb
- Wake County church Information - via NCGenWeb
- Wake County court records - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Education page at Wake County, NCGenWeb
- Book: History of Meredith College (1972) - by Mary Lynch Johnson; full-text online
- Book: Vision Revisited: A History of Meredith College, 1971-1988 - by Carolyn C. Robinson; full-text online
- Meredith College: 1904-2009
- NC State University: 1903-2010
- Peace College: 1902-2010
- Wake County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Lane] Joel Lane, pioneer and patriot : a biographical sketch, including notes about the Lane family and the colonial and revolutionary history of Wake County, North Carolina
- [Massey] Massey, William W. "Richard Massey of Bartons Creek, Wake County, North Carolina: With the Search for his Parentage," The Genealogist, Vol. 18, No. 2 (Fall 2004):196-227.
- Wake County deeds - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Historical Raleigh from its foundation in 1792 : descriptive, biographical, educational, industrial, religious; reminiscences reviewed and carefully compiled. (1902) - full text via NC Digital Collections
- History of Wake County, North Carolina : with sketches of those who have most influenced its development (1922) - full text via the Internet Archive
- Wake County maps - more than 50 maps of the area; via the NC Maps website of the North Carolina State Library
- Wake County military information - via Wake County NCGenWeb
- Wake County military records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -7th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Wake county newspaper articles - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Newspapers published in Wake County - via the Library of Congress
- Wake county wills and estates - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Book: Wake County, North Carolina Abstracts of Wills, Inventories, and Settlements of Estates: 1771-1802” published in 1984 by Frances Holloway Wynne. View the index for people of interest.
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- Wake County marriage records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979 - via FamilySearch (index of 2,128,230 records; no images)
- Raleigh marriage and death notices from five of the area's newspapers 1799-1893 are posted at the North Carolina Libraries and State Archives website. These papers include the Raleigh Register, the North Carolina State Gazette, Daily Sentinel, Raleigh Observer and News and Observer. The notices are originally found in book form in the SLNC's 6-volume Marriage and Death notices.
- Wake County deaths -- deceased individuals of the area as reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- Obituaries from the Cary News newspaper are included in GenealogyBank from Feb 2011 forward. ($)
- Obituaries from the Eastern Wake News paper of Zebulon, NC are included in GenealogyBank from Jan 2011 forward ($)
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
- Wake County Genealogical Society
- Wake County Historical Society
- Apex Historical Society
- Olivia Raney Local History Library
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Apex North Carolina Family History Center
- Raleigh North Carolina Family History Center
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wake County, North Carolina. Page 513 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).