Vista California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We serve the Family History needs of all who visit. The Center is served by North County Transit District bus route 318. Access off of Oak St through parking area.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
Center Contacts and Hours
Location and Map:
- 1310 Foothill Drive Vista, CA 92084-4048 United States
- The Center is accessed from the parking lot at the South-East corner. DO NOT use building front doors as no one will know you are there.
- The parking lot entrance is off Oak St. across from the Foothill Oak Elementary School.
- Language:English primary; Spanish a little, German on Thursday afternoon.
- 4th Thursday: class start 7:00pm
Fri 2 June and Sat 3 June - CLOSED, carpet cleaning
7 June CLOSED, H.S. Graduation
Independence Day: CLOSED July 1- 4 open on 5th
22 July CLOSED, Foothill Building Activity
Summer Break: August 1 thru 21 – CLOSED (open by appointment) open on 22nd
Labor Day: 2 Sept - CLOSED
30 Sept - CLOSED, General Conference:
7 Oct - CLOSED, Stake Activity
Fri 10 and Sat 11 Nov - CLOSED, carpet cleaning
Thanksgiving Week: 20 thru 27 Nov CLOSED
Christmas and New Year: 18 Dec thru Jan 8 2018 - CLOSED (open by appointment)'
Calendar and Events
Please be aware all of our presentations are free of charge to participants
- Come visit for any or all of the time. Bring a friend. A variety of classes will be held: Story Trek, writing life stories and journaling; Getting Started, just the basics; DNA, what it can and cannot tell you; and one-on-one individual help.
Advancing your research skills . . .
Classes are on the 4th Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
25 Jan - DNA what it can and cannot tell you
You can learn a lot about your ancestry from a DNA test! With the cost of DNA tests dropping, DNA tests are within almost anyone’s reach. Learn what the different tests are, who offers what tests, what each DNA test tells you about your ancestors, how DNA tests can help you solve genealogical puzzles and what questions DNA tests can’t answer.
22 Feb - African Roots in Your Family? - - African-American History Month – come learn to use different records in discovering your own family history. And, discover how the history from the Colonial period until the Civil War may have affected your ancestors. One of the major records used in this area is the "Freedman Bureau" which was essentially a bank. Upwards of 33% of these records are for Share Croppers who were not former slaves. Sometime we are surprised by what records contain. Join us for this class if you have any ancestry from the area of the Confederacy Or Maryland.
22 Mar -
26 Apr -
24 May -
28 Jun -
26 Jul -
23 Aug -
27 Sep -
25 Oct -
Staff Training Meetings
First Tuesday of the month 9:00 am
- Book Room: with a large selection of collected works and "how to" resources.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm and microfiche readers, Microfilm / microfiche printers, A number of internet linked computers, Flatbed scanner for documents and photos
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The Carlsbad "Cole Library" with the North County Genealogical Society is another useful resource in this area.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)