Virginia in the War of 1812
The Society of the War 1812 has several historical articles:
- Introduction to Battles and Skirmishes
- Significant Events in the War of 1812 in Virginia
- Bibliography for the War of 1812 in Virginia
- National Society US Daughers War of 1812 Virginia Chapters
Virginia Bicentennial of the American War of 1812 Commission has a timeline of events in Virginia during the war.
Virginia Heritage Guides to Manuscript & Archival Collections in Virginia Type in War of 1812 211 Finding Aids
Battles of the War of 1812
Major Events Time Line of the War of 1812 in Virginia
Battles and Skirmishes in the War of 1812 Society of the War of 1812
Virginia Military Units
Virginia War of 1812 Military Records
West Virginia War of 1812 Military Records
For a list of where regiments were raised and regimental and company officers, see:
- Butler, Stuart Lee. A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Publishing Co., 1988. (Family History Library book 975.5 M2bs.)
Virginia Militia in the War of 1812"from rolls in the Auditor's office at Richmond
Virginia in the Revolution and War of 1812, Broderbrund No 121
Soldiers of the War of 1812 at the Library of Virginia
National Archives Military Records
Library of Virginia, Index to War of 1812 Pay Rolls and Muster Rolls – Indexes Pay Rolls of Militia Entitled to Land Bounty Under the Act of Congress of Sept. 28, 1850 and its supplement, Muster Rolls of the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812. Approximately 40,000 names are indexed.
Explanations of this index are at About the War of 1812 Database and Abbreviations for Ranks.
- Muster Rolls, Payrolls, and Index of the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1955. Published payroll and muster roll books are on Family History Library film 029991, which lists each soldier's name, rank, length of service, service dates, and county (residence). The card index on the first seven films indexes the two books. (Family History Library films 0029984-91)
- War of 1812. Proof of military service during the War of 1812 may be found in two printed volumes: Pay Rolls of Militia Entitled to Land Bounty under the Act of Congress of Sept. 28, 1850 (1851) and Muster Rolls of the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812, Being a Supplement to the Pay Rolls (1852), reprinted as Virginia Militia in the War of 1812 from Rolls in the Auditor’s Office at Richmond (2001). A searchable index to these rolls is available on the Library’s Web site. Virginia did not grant bounty land or pensions for War of 1812 service. Since many soldiers serving in the War of 1812 ultimately werepaid by the federal government, records of their service may be on file in the National Archives. A useful index to these records is Patrick G. Wardell’s War of 1812: Virginia Bounty Land and Pension Applicants (1987).
Genealogical Records at the Library of Virginia
The Family History Library also has microfilm copies of the National Archives indexes to the federal service, pension, and bounty land files, but the actual files are only at the National Archives.
Veterans who were still alive in 1883 and drew pensions are identified in a book that is now widely available on the Internet:
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883). Digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [Virginia section begins on page 58.] 973 M2Lp v. 5
Published abstracts of the federal pension and bounty land warrant applications are in:
- Wardell, Patrick G. War of 1812: Virginia Bounty Land and Pension Applications. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1987. (Family History Library book 975 M2wp.) Gives marriage and death dates and places, spouses, and residences.
- Pension Applications for the War of 1812
- Muster rolls, pay rolls, and index of the Virginia militia in the War of 1812 8 Microfilm reels, 16mm and 35mm
Rolls of Honor
- Society of the War of 1812 in Virginia
- Virginia Bicentennial of the American War of 1812 Commission has short biographies of prominent Virginians, a timeline of the war in Virginia, and a map of 1812 historical markers.